A few months ago, Jake and I went out to dinner and I ordered a Macadamia encrusted Halibut with Hazelnut Sauce. It was so delicious that I have been scouring for a similar recipe ever since. Much to my delight, I came across a recipe for Halibut with Hazelnut Crust on the Crossfit Santa Cruz recipe blog.
I had trouble finding Hazelnuts at the store that day, so I remembered the Halibut Macadamia I had at the restaurant, and modified the recipe a bit. It was delicious, nutty, and filling… definitely something that might make any regular dinner guest consider going Paleo!
- 1.5 lbs fresh Halibut filets
- 1 Cup Toasted & Chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
- ¼ Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt (optional)
- Grated Orange Zest (from about ½ of an orange)
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened Almond or Coconut Milk
- 2 Egg Whites
- Orange slices, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toast Macadamia nuts for approximately 10 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet. Watch them to make sure they don’t burn. When done, allow the nuts to cool completely before chopping them (food processors work great for this!)
- Lightly grease a baking dish with Olive Oil.
- In a medium, shallow bowl, beat egg whites with the almond or coconut milk (I used coconut milk).
- Blend the cooled, toasted macadamia nuts in a food processor and then add the parsley, sea salt, pepper, and orange zest.
- One at a time, place halibut filets in egg mixture, and coat on both sides, then press the halibut in the nut mixture, and cover all over.
- Once the halibut filets are coated in the egg & nut mixture, place them in the baking pan.
- Bake for 15+ minutes or longer until temp reaches 130-135. Test a piece with a fork to make sure the texture of the fish is flaky and pulls apart.
- Serve with your favorite veggies, and garnish with the orange slices!
Happy eating :) Joey