After a solid week of steamed broccoli and canned Tuna when I first started Paleo, I became repulsed by the thought of ever eating broccoli again. It was a short love affair, only to be reignited by a supreme broccoli dish I tasted a couple of months ago at the restaurant Black Bottle in the Belltown district of Seattle. The dish is known as Blasted Broccoli.
After trying to guess at the recipe a few times using the broiler, a friend found it on Epicurious.com and I was so excited (thanks Megan!). This version is just what I’d remembered from the restaurant :)
So, if you’ve ever tired of broccoli, I hope that this will reunite your love affair with the delicious green. And don’t forget to floss!
- 1 ¼ pounds Broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
- 3 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Large pinch of dried crushed red pepper
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Toss broccoli and 3 tablespoons Olive Oil in large bowl to coat.
- Sprinkle with Sea Salt and Pepper.
- Transfer to rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Stir remaining ½ tablespoon Olive Oil, Garlic, and Red Pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle Garlic mixture over broccoli; toss to coat.
- Roast until broccoli is beginning to brown, about 8 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with Sea Salt & Pepper.
- Serve, and eat, immediately.
Happy Eating :) Joey