Asparagus is a delicious, easy veggie and the fern-colored spears add a touch of elegance alongside any of your favorite proteins. I consider this little treasure of a recipe our “A-List Asparagus” because the simple addition of nutmeg and lemon elevates it to a superstar status. You could invite Robert Downey Jr. (or your A-List star of choice) over and feel proud serving this dish. I love that it’s still super easy, so as not to frazzle you while under the stress of entertaining such stardom.
We thank a recent episode of Alton Brown’s show, Good Eats, for the flavor inspiration.
- 1 pound fresh Asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter (we suggest butter from grass-fed cows, such as Kerrygold Butter)*
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg (pre-ground is okay, but give the fresh a try if you can)
- 1 whole lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Break off the bottom ends of the Asparagus spears (about an inch or so will naturally break). Discard the ends.
- Coat Asparagus spears with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black pepper, to taste.
- Roast on a baking sheet for 12 minutes (for medium-sized spears – time may vary based on thickness).
- Once the spears are roasted, remove them from the oven and freshly grate the nutmeg over the top (you can use a fine-grate zester for this).
- Gently toss the Asparagus a bit more to even out the lemon and nutmeg flavors.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy.