This crisp and tangy salad makes a great side dish to almost any entrée. We served ours alongside our freshly posted Spicy Scratch Chicken Soup and it was a perfect balance to the spicy flavors in the soup.
Try this as-is, or alter the amounts of veggies & seasonings to suit your personal taste. Hooked on in-season apples right now? Go heavier on the apple portion of the recipe. Fennel fanatic? Add as much sliced Fennel as your heart desires. Lemon lover? Go nuts on the lemon juice, lighter on the olive oil.
I think you get the concept.
Not sure what you might want to do to personalize this? We think our version is a great place to start. Make it your base, and tweak as needed after tasting for a more personal fit.
- 2 large sweet Apples, julienned
- 2 medium heads Fennel, cored and sliced
- 3 large ribs Celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Fresh-Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Sea Salt, and Black Pepper.
- Add the apple, fennel, celery, and cilantro until well-combined.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired.
- This salad also makes great leftovers when stored in the fridge! The lemon juice keeps the produce from browning, so it’s just as pretty the next few days :)
We only tweaked this recipe slightly from the original version that we discovered on foodnetwork.com. Click here to view the original recipe.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE VERSION OF FENNEL APPLE SALAD
Did you try it? How did you customize your Fennel-Apple Salad?